Old 17-06-2003, 10:09 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Tamarisk: origin of "salt cedar"

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message . ..
Mike Lyle schreef
http://internet.cybermesa.com/~bludevil/P6160002.JPG
the attractive name "salt cedar" is given as an alternative.

Sorry: I can't have made myself clear. I was asking about the new name
I've met in the American source I quoted: "salt cedar".

+ + +
Actually, there appears to be no such name at this link.
It is all over the net anyway.
+ + +

I'm very sorry: I copied the wrong link. Here's the right one:
http://www.cpluhna.nau.edu/Biota/tamarisk.htm

[...]
I guess you will have to go over the American literature of the last 150?
years or so to find where it first appeared.[...]

I could do that, certainly. Meanwhile, I live in hope that somebody
reading this may have some information on its first printed use.

Mike.