Old 17-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Bob Adkins

Default Ducklings hatched in courtyard, will they live on grass alone?

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:58:24 -0500, jammer wrote:

I rehabilitate wild orphaned birds or just raise fallen babies. If i
didn't go against the law, i would have dead hawks several times a
year, for i am forbidden to care for them without a Birds of Prey
Liscence. I will never turn my back on anything in need of help.

I risked arrest by picking up a barred owl that apparently had a concussion
from hitting a power line. Silly thing held his head upside down, and only
cut flips when he tried to fly. I took him home and kept his in my shop for
8 days. I fed him chicken liver and water, forced at first, then he would
take it readily. Each day, his head rotated more toward upright. Each day,
he dismantled my shop a little more. Owl poop is great paint stripper.
Finally one day his head was completely upright, and he could fly from shelf
to shelf with good agility. Next day, I fed him and released him. He flew to
a high branch and studied for 20 minutes, then flew away. His name was
"hootie".

Bob