Old 17-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Richard Brooks

Default Huckleberry Plants - Help!!

"David Hill" wrote in message
Hi Richard,

I never say no to any seeds that are different, so if you have any spare
seed I would love to try them, and I can wait for fruit to ripen.
Just wondering what the birds make of it?

They don't get a look in! I want to go small time commercial on it but
maybe it's not on the ECs list of seeds for sale.

It's only recently that some things have decided to take a nibble out of the
plants and Roy my mate and landlord who's dad brought the seed over says
that the leaves are best picked early as it gets a bit bitter but myself and
an African tenant loved it.

I'm now going to have to order a chest freezer to store the leaves in as the
plant gets to about 6 ft in height and can be about 3 ft in diameter. My
next door neighbour bought some seed last year, put it on his allotment and
said that ours grows much earlier so I guess that it's got used to living
here.

When I grew the Garden Huckleberry, I had a 40 ft row in the glasshouse,
there was probably 1 cwt or more fruit on the plants, but neither the

birds
or the mice took any.

Flippin' 'eck! 40 ft. I wonder if it takes a few seasons of watching other
things have a go befor tucking in ?

Just doing a web search for "callaloo" all it throws up is "....(Callaloo
is Jamaican slang for spinach)
So I am even more intrigued.

I've put the Jamaican term "grow wild like callaloo" on some short run seed
packets. Right now, it's growing in the flower beds, in the seed pots of
other plants in the green house, in-between the cracks in the concreted by
the back door. It's now pushing out the land cress that I brought with me
and was growing all over the place.

Send me your details quick and I'll send you some seed in the next day or
so.

Richard.