Old 17-06-2003, 10:56 PM
jammer

Default Sticklebacks for a wildlife pond

On 17 Jun 2003 14:14:29 -0700, (Neil McManus)
wrote:

I built a pond four months ago and I am really pleased with it. The
water did go green for a bit, but now it is crystal clear. I rescued
some frogspawn from a garden centre that was closing down and have
loads of tadpoles keeping the algae under control. The plants are
growing well and the water lilies look to be sending up flower buds.
There's plenty of life already, with pond skaters, diving beetles,
damselflies laying eggs and millions of daphnia.
My two young daughters have been nagging me to get fish in the pond,
but I have read that goldfish would eat the wildlife. The
recommendation is for native fish such as sticklebacks, but I don't
know where I can get them. Can anyone suggest a source?

Neil

West Lothian,
Scotland

I did a search and came up empty handed on buying the fish.