Old 17-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Virginia

Default Tam Jalapeno Growing Problem - HELP!!

A couple of years ago, I had great success growing a Tam Jalapeno
plant. Since I love the milder jalapenos, this year I planted three
of them. Two made it just fine, and are growing pretty good. They
have had several blossoms, but I noticed that if I was checking for
bugs, I could knock a few blossoms off by mistake. Well, now I am
noticing that I have yet to have a pepper grow... and the ones that
look like they have started knock off or fall off. I don't remember
having this problem before. Couple of factors he at the base of
each stem/bud, where it attaches to a bigger stem, it seems to be a
dark purplish color at the connection, and slightly smaller diameter
-- almost like it has been strangled. This is where the break occurs
when the flowers or babies fall. Also, I have read posts with similar
problems, and most attribute it to the heat. Well, we have not really
had that much heat yet this year -- slightly cooler with lots and lots
of rain. Could this be an insufficient pollination problem,
aggravated by the quantity of rain falling? If so, I have heard that
using a blow-dryer on the tomato blossoms for about 30 seconds around
noontime, a few times a week, will aid in tomato production. Would
this possibly work for the jalapenos? I have them planted in a large
14" pot, which they (2 Tams) are sharing with a garlic chive plant
(mature). I have never had a problem with container gardening in the
past. Also, does anyone know of other great varieties of mild
jalapenos I might want to consider trying? I am in Zone 6, just north
of Tulsa, Oklahoma. Any ideas would be much appreciated -- I miss my
jalapenos!!!
Thanks, Virginia