Old 17-06-2003, 11:23 PM
Michael Berridge

Default Poppys

Roscoe wrote in message ...

Last year and the year before I did just as you recommend, gathered

field
poppy seedheads. Shook the seeds out around the wildflower part of my

garden
and guess what? Not one germinated. The same with teasels and white
campion. I asked for advice from a gardening friend who said that he
thought that my soil is far too rich for wild flowers and that they

will
only grow in impoverished soil. Why then do I have red campion and

alkanet
growing very happily almost everywhere?

Don't worry too much about them, they will eventually germinate. Poppy
seeds can lie dormant for many years and as far as I recall, need
disturbed soil and light to germinate. The field of Field beans round my
house is full of poppies, as it is every year as the farmer will not use
weedkillers on his fields.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk