Old 17-06-2003, 11:32 PM
madgardener

Default QJust a warm hello from Fairy Holler

I just looked them up in Google, and I'm really not sure if the ones at Mary
Ann's are lily beetles but I think I will drive over there tomorrow and take
a picture of them anyway. Thanks Ann. Solomon's Seal????????? I have
varigated SS~ according to one article I read, Bayer has a Neem product
that seems to control them, but I think I will watch for the bastages
(especially since Beverly brought me Easter lilies from Suffolk and so far
they're clean.........) and if I see anything resembling a red beetle, out
come the gloves and I will do a massive squashing and possibly some
insecticide much as I hate to. I will NOT lose my lilies!! (or my
Solomon's Seal.......)
madgardener
"Ann" wrote in message
"madgardener" expounded:

I read a disturbing article yesterday in the newly arrived Horticulture
Magazine and it gave me the shudders. There is a lily beetle that has

been
here for just past a decade that came over on imported lilies from Europe
that was established in Cambridge, Mass first and is now in surrounding
states.

Marilyn, I've been posting about those damned beetles now for three
years! They are horrible, they've destroyed my lily collection, they
eat frittilarias and solomon seals, too. They are working on a
biological control, hopefully soon! I was out in the western part of
the state at a woman's garden and she had wonderful lilies still but a
friend three miles away had the dreaded beetles. Nasty!
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA