Old 18-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

Default tomatoes

In message , dolores
writes

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote in
message ...
In message , dolores
writes
Hi, my name is Ronan, I'm 13 and love gardening but have ony been doing

it
for 1 year cos we just moved from a city to the countryside. I grew some
tomatoes from seed and there are a few tomatoes on them

They have grown 3 to 4 foot high but have little lumps growing up the
stalks, but not on the branches or leaves. Someone said they are roots

but

Are these little lumps mostly towards the bottom of the stem?

Yes, I think they are some sort of 'proto root' - if you plant a tomato
deeper in the soil it will happily send out roots from the stem

Does this mean i'm not planting the seeds deep enough and
should I earth up or repot them. Thanks

Probably not.

It's got nothing to do with the depth of seed planting. When We pot on
our toms we do tend to plant them deep in the pots so they can put out
roots from the base of the stem, but we still get these bumps on the
stem above the soil anyway. I wouldn't worry about it.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ: