Old 18-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Minteeleaf

Default Tree recommendations? - central VA (also where to plant them)

The Other Harry wrote:

I recently moved from the California coast to a suburban house
in central Virginia. Waynesboro, to be exact -- which is just
off the west side of the Blue Ridge mountains, not too far
from Charlottesville.

snip

- An "ornamental" category which includes trees that might be
planted just about anywhere else (keeping in mind the drain
line and the truck corridor). I would like these to break up
the big. open rectangle of lawn which is currently there. I
imagine these to be mostly deciduous. I have no idea what
trees to use for this, or what principles to use in deciding
where to plant them.

That's it! Any thoughts or advice any of you might have on
any part(s) of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Harry

I live in northern VA. Down around your area, catalpa trees
grow wild. They have magnificent blooms in the spring,
gorgeous darkish lavendar. The leaves are exotic looking.
They would do well. They are deciduous.

If you want shrubs at any point, azaleas make VA a showplace
in the spring. The colors are stunning.

Minteeleaf