Old 18-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Poppys

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 05:37:40 +0100, Roscoe wrote:

Last year and the year before I did just as you recommend, gathered field
poppy seedheads. Shook the seeds out around the wildflower part of my garden
and guess what? Not one germinated. The same with teasels and white
campion. I asked for advice from a gardening friend who said that he
thought that my soil is far too rich for wild flowers and that they will
only grow in impoverished soil. Why then do I have red campion and alkanet
growing very happily almost everywhere?

Some of these weedy annuals are, like their cousins the real
weeds, lovers of disturbed soils. Dig over that bed late in the
summer and I bet you that next spring you'll see your misssing
poppies, teasels, and campions coming up.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada