Old 18-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Pam Rudd

Default Growing Tomatoes

When last we left our heros, on 17 Jun 2003 02:07:42 GMT,
(TheresaKyn) scribbled:

I'm new to planting tomatoes. Someone recommended pinching off the first
yellow flowers when they appear to create more fruit. Has anyone done this
before and is this true to cucumbers as well?

The idea is to force the plant to put more energy into
leaf and vine growth before it starts to produce fruit.
More vine and leaf means more tomatoes over the
course of the season at the expense of a couple
of very early fruits. Store bought tomato vines are
often pot bound, and start trying to produce fruit before
the vine is large enough to support it.

I usually designate a couple of short season tomatoes
as my early tomatoes. I start them inside a couple of weeks
before any of the others, get them in the ground first, and don't
pinch off those first blooms. I usually use Slivery Fur Tree
Tomatoes as my early ones.

You will note the "usually" up there in that paragraph. This
year I was terribly busy and didn't get anything planted until
late, so no early tomatoes for me this year. I *did* sneak and
buy a Sweet One Hundred cherry tomato, and I am getting
ripe cherry tomatoes, but since I cheated I can't really call
them *my* early tomatoes.

Pam, to be honest and all...

"ElissaAnn"