Old 18-06-2003, 06:42 AM
Jan Flora

Default Fertilizer & Tomatoes in Pots question

In article , Pat Meadows
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 03:32:59 GMT, Repeating Decimal
wrote:

in article , Jan Flora at
wrote on 6/16/03 5:40 PM:

Honey, I live on 400 acres with the most awesome, deep topsoil you've ever
seen. My domestic water source is a 7 acre lake that's 40 feet deep. And
Alaska just doesn't have most of the bugs and diseases that ya'll enjoy.
I'm not going hydro, but thanks : )

I would appreciate you sending me an acre or two of your land and a small
portion of your lake as well. How much would that cost me?

I'll take some of it too....

Pat (who has a bit less than 1/2 acre to work with)

This may sound like whining, but sometimes I wish I only had a 1/2 acre or an
acre. The yard here is a weedy blank, except for a couple of native spruce trees
and a birch. It's overwhelming to look at a huge yard and decide what
trees to plant
and where; what bushes; how many peonies I can get away with buying before Chris
screams about what they cost [they thrive up here]; and stuff like that,
before I even
*start* building beds and doing naturalized spring bulbs. I'm into edible
landscaping,
which is a hoot. (One of my Master Gardening teachers in Calif. was Robt.
Kourick,
who wrote the Edible Landscaping book that didn't sell as well as Rosiland
Creasy's.)

I've been instructed to respect the normal bulldozer paths to plow snow in
the winter;
the path to the fuel oil tank behind the house; the path into the [10
acre] horse pasture
next to the Cowboy Cabin, the driveway circle that's big enough to get our
log truck
and belly dump in and out of without backing up [much], etc. *ack!*

When one of my really organized [read: anal retentive with creative
talent] friends
comes over, I grab a legal pad and ask them to tell me what they would do.
Man, I've
gotten some *great* ideas like that! They look right past clutter, weeds, dead
snowmachines, and the radial arm saw in the yard because we're still
building and
tell me what to do and where. *big grin* (I've done the same inside the
house.)

Jan