Old 04-03-2003, 06:52 AM
Zphysics1

Default Propagating fig from cutting?

"DH" wrote in message
"Jerome R. Long" wrote in message
I have rooted many figs and found them to be among the easiest of plants
to root successfully.

Okay, but you are talking to a person who has yet been able to get an
avocado pit to sprout!!

I have propagated everything from succulent to softwood to conifer to
hardwood.
Being allergic to instruction manuals, I did it the wrong way, by
trial and error.
It is really not difficult if you adopt some golden rules.

1) always take cuttings in the dormant season
2) some of them do require callusing but my guess is that fig will do
without
3) a mist bed can be done cheaply and effectively with a plastic bag
over the pot. I usually get extra sticks, longer than the ones I use,
and that I plant at the pot edges. They keep the plastic up and away
from the cuttings
4) give them 8 weeks in cool but not cold shade for rooting
5) once new shoots start appearing, wait another month then VERY
GRADUALLY expose to increasing amounts of sunshine.
6) give them morning sun only throughout the first season.
7) transfer them to final location in the fall

Will this work for plumeria? I have the same problem. I am moving and am
leaving a veritable tropical garden behind -- cherimoya, plumeria, star
fruit, pummelo, figs, bananas. :-(

/z.