Old 18-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Bill Oliver

Default Tree recommendations? - central VA (also where to plant them)

In article ,
The Other Harry wrote:

- An "ornamental" category which includes trees that might be
planted just about anywhere else (keeping in mind the drain
line and the truck corridor). I would like these to break up
the big. open rectangle of lawn which is currently there. I
imagine these to be mostly deciduous. I have no idea what
trees to use for this, or what principles to use in deciding
where to plant them.

I am a big fan of magnolias. You would have to see whether or not
your particular spot is appropriate, but magnolias will grow just
about anywhere in VA. There are a number of varieties, and you
can choose how tall you want it to grow to, how bushy you want it
to be, what color the blooms to have. We have planted magnolias
in MD and the Northern Neck of VA with great success.

billo