Old 18-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Callen Molenda

Default Tree recommendations? - central VA (also where to plant them)

FarmerDill wrote:

I recently moved from the California coast to a suburban house
in central Virginia. Waynesboro, to be exact -- which is just
off the west side of the Blue Ridge mountains, not too far
from Charlottesville.

I grew up on the eastern slope. Just about any temperate zone tree or shrub
will grow in the area. The primary natives are oak and hickory but most of the
conifers from the north will grow if you don't have competition from natives.
As for ornamentals doqwood is the state flower and redbud (Judas trees) grow
wild in the woods; again anything that grows in a temperate climate, No
magnolias or live oaks,

Why do you say no magnolias? I live in Charlottesville and we have
magnolias out the wazoo.

Also dogwoods, redbud, mimosa, japanese red maple, poplar, maple, locust
(yuck), curly willow....