Old 18-06-2003, 02:32 PM
animaux

Default Beautiful garden tools I just ordered

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:35:06 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

(...)

In the case of a spade (getting back on topic for a second) you would
want avoid brittle alloys that would break or get gaps through hitting
stones etc as the ability to hold an edge is useless if the edge is
gapped or the blade breaks. Having said that I have no idea if the
alloy used in stainless steel spades would be brittle or not. Do you
have any information on the sort of SS used in spades?

David

David, there are different grades and alloys of stainless. I am certainly not
an expert, but 18/10 is the stainless people desire for cookware. I have a full
set of mirror polish stainless steel cookware and knives.

The reason why I believe stainless steel is such a good material for garden
tools is the ability to glide into any substance without attracting the
particulate and when it stays relatively clean, it can cut better. Stainless is
also much heavier and helps a little by having superior strength and weight.

All of this is not scientific, but I will report back about these tools in
question and give my opinion on them.