Old 18-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Problem with Marigolds

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

What brands of seeds did you use?

the problem ones were Thompson & Morgan.
The other two were Johnny's Seeds.

I used T&M for 7-10 different seeds. Two of them have just not come up
for me...the French Vanilla and the Sanvitalia.

Based only on my experience, T&M, Johnny's, Harris and Cook's Garden seeds
have been of marginal quality. Except for Harris, the other three companies
still have a purpose. They carry unusual things you won't find elsewhere.
But, you may have to use quite a bit more seed to adjust for very poor
germination rates.

Since marigolds are not in the category of "unusual things", I'd suggest you
give Burpee a try next time. You'll probably be amazed. I have no idea why -
it's just based on lots of experience with their products. Even with
riskier, difficult-to-sow seeds, like impatiens, carrots, wax begonia etc,
the success rates are very high.