Old 04-03-2003, 09:31 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Messinian climate

In article ,
Jaak Suurpere wrote:

| It would seem likely that plants which can endure 58 degrees and low
| humidity could also endure 58 degrees and high humidity.

Not so. Inter alia, high humidity permits fungi to flourish.

At which temperatures?

Anything above freezing and below whatever their maximum is. We have
this problem very badly in the UK during the winter, and I go into
great lengths in the uk.rec.gardening climate FAQ I am writing.

Jakarta, one of the best-known places in humid tropics, has absolute
maximum of 37 degrees. We can fairly guess that some parts of humid
tropics would have absolute maxima a bit higher. But how much heat can
live fungi endure?

Dunno. What I am certain is that some would adapt to higher temperatures,
just like plants. The key here is that many of the destructive ones are
effectively single celled organisms, and will grow only when their cells
don't dry out. Hence the plant rots in the UK, and all sorts of nasty
and interesting plant and animal rots in places like Jakarta and Port
Harcourt.

What I suppose is that there are plants which are preadapted. For
example, desert plants are adapted to great heat with low humidity.
Some of them might flourish with great heat and humidity.

Experience is that most don't. They can often take great heat and
moderate humidity, but have few defences against fungi and bacteria
(not surprisingly).

I suppose that some fungi adapted to great humidity and moderate heat
might not be troubling with great heat. Of course, others might be
trouble.

Yes. I doubt that many of the species of either plant or fungus would
be quite the same as any we see today.

Then again, if there are places with wet conditions, some plants
adapted to wet conditions and moderate heat might make do with wet
conditions and great heat - and be well rid of some of their
competitors as well as some herbivores.

Again, they would need to adapt. MOST such plants are a bit temperature
sensitive, but not all.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679