Old 18-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Some One

Default What to do with clay soil?

Hey all!

I'm a new homeowner and as expected, the developer stripped off all
the good topsoil before starting this subdivision. My yard has a
couple inches of decent topsoil, but below that is nothing but clay.

I've managed to get a lawn seeded and it came in pretty well, but it
is patchy in some spots. I'm assuming this is areas where there is
less good topsoil.

Is there anything I can do to improve the soil and get the grass to
root deeper?

I'm also having a hard time trying to get any kind of tree or bush to
grow without putting in a HUGE hole full of decent soil.

Any help is appreciated!