Old 18-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Callen Molenda

Default Tree recommendations? - central VA (also where to plant them)

FarmerDill wrote:

Why do you say no magnolias? I live in Charlottesville and we have
magnolias out the wazoo.

Interesting: I have beeen around Charlottesville for almost 70 years, Lots of
kinffolk lived in the city and I pulled two stints at UVa and nevr noticed a
Magnolia, I know that they can be grown there with plenty of winter protection.
One can grow bananas in Ga too but it aint that easy. doesn't seem worth the
bother when there is such a wide choice of readily adaptable trees and shrubs,
Waynesboro is a few degrees colder than C- ville also.

Dill, I can't speak for Waynesboro but I'll send you a couple magnolia
blossoms to lure you back this way. Nothing like them; I don't even
care whether they drop those big leathery leaves everywhere.

When we were little my grandparents had a magnolia tree so huge that we
made forts in it, and could climb it all the way up to the top of the
(2-story) house. I can still see my grandmother leaning out of the
attic window imploring my little brother to please climb down before our
mother got home. g