Old 18-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Drakanthus

Default Chives

You can't get much wetter than 70" a year, and chives always flower
here too, so I don't think it's caused by dryness. At that stage I
usually shear them down to ground level, then get a second crop of
tender leaves. They grow from bulbs and last forever, but you'll get the
best crops if you divide the clumps every couple of years and replant in
small bunches. They make a good edge to veg garden paths.

Janet.

We grow them in small clumps here and there in the flower beds, getting a
regular supply of fresh chives until they flower. The flowers are quite
attractive too. Every few years we just split the clumps. A never ending
supply of fresh chives.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)