Old 18-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Roscoe

Default Taking Clematis cuttings

"Gary Woods" wrote in a message:

For we colonists, what's the rough equivalent, perhaps a sandy mix?
I use "Pro-Mix" for a lot of things.... sterile soilless mix with peat,
vermiculite, etc; based on a formula developed with my tax money by
Cornell University.... well-regarded for things agricultural and
veterinerical over here.

---------
Hi Gary,

Yes, a 50/50 sharp sand and compost mix. I too use a lot of Silvaperl
Vermiculite, experimenting with various Vermiculite and compost mixes and
have found that I get almost 100% rooting success with most of my cuttings.
I always prepare my own compost and sterilize it in a microwave, on high for
5 minutes! It is important to keep the rooting compost moist and not
compacted. I find that using Vermiculite solves the compaction problem.

Roscoe