Old 18-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Emrys Davies

Default Pelargonium potting questions

'Joe',

The idea is not to overpot the geranium family in order to ensure that
they do not produce too much foliage at the expense of flowers.

Best to treat them as recommended by the supplier(s), but you may
consider leaving one in a bigger pot to test the over-potting theory.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"Joe B" wrote in message
. com...
I am now growing some young zonal pelargoniums- and a few

scented-leaved,
all indoors in pots. On re-reading the cultivation info for these

plants I
see different suppliers saying the same thing- pot these young plants

(rooted
cuttings) in a 9cm pot to begin with and then 5-6 weeks later repot

into a
pot that is 2 sizes bigger. I didn't have enough small pots when some

of
these plants arrived so i used some of the larger size pots (4-5") but

now I
do have some more small pots. I'm wondering two things:

1] Do I need to take the recent arrivals that went into larger pots

but that
do not seem to be quite as lively as the ones that went into the small

pots-
and repot them into small pots for a while, or can I leave them and

hope they
will not fare too badly from being somewhat "overpotted"?- and-

2] Why is it necessary to put these small plants into small pots at

first if
they are to be moved into bigger pots only a few weeks later? This

seems
counter-intuitive to me, since in the wild, and even in the garden,

plants
all go into the biggest pot imaginable- the ground- and presumably do

not
suffer as a result. I'd really like to understand this.

Joe B. remove composer for email