View Single Post
  #9   Report Post  
Old 18-06-2003, 10:08 PM

Default Quarintine? Reality?

the fish is at the supplier. how long did they quarantine the fish? then they bag
the fish up, you drag it home and it is stressed from the move. stressed fish lose
control over their parasite load, they shed the parasites into the water. they may
be immune, but the fish already in the pond may not have been in contact with that
particular parasite and their immunity has declined. so it is more likely the new
fish will survive, the existing fish get sick and/or die.
I dont quarantine new fish in a small tank. I quarantine them in a large stock tank
where I keep the water pristine. I can easily net them to treat them, I can treat
that tank and do the necessary water changes, and I can boost the temp on that tank
up to 84oF to see if any of the heat activated cooties "come out".
Jan even keeps an indicator fish in that quarantine tank, so if they shed something
deadly the indicator fish bellies up.. .not the whole pond full of fish. The other
fish also does help calm a single fish. You must not have been on this list the last
few years when people just tossed new fish into their ponds and had the entire pond
full of fish die. It is an easily avoidable horror. I am very short on sympathy for
people who dont quarantine. Ingrid

"Hank Pagel" wrote:
Quarantine seems to me to be adding more stress
to the new fish. I guess it is a matter of how much risk you are
willing to take and how much you trust your supplier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the
endorsements or recommendations I make.