Old 19-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Diane Mancino

Default Carpenter ants??

Thanks Jim, I think this was one of the websites I read after we discovered
the ants. Picture us out side ripping out the house siding and assaulting
with a shop vac web we came to a nest. The wall tunnels were amazing. The
tip for this garden group- watch for water damage, or else.

"Jim S" wrote in message
om...
actually carpenter ants do not damage wood they clean out old termite

damage
and rot damage

carpenter ants are actually hunters, they hunt crickets and other ant
species

you will find in their frass (thats the stuff they throw out of their

nests
that look like sawdust, thus the name "carpenter" ant) multiple bug parts

here is a link if you would like to know more
http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/Entom...ruct/ef603.htm

jim

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message
et...
Has anyone ever had trouble with carpenter ants in the potting mix? I

hope
not. We are repairing dry & moisture rot on the house and there are ant
nests everywhere there is rot. That's being taken care of, but the thing

is,
the wood I'm removing looks just like my bark mix! Add water and it

would
be
ant heaven! I don't know if they have a taste for orchid roots, but one

more
reason for keeping them inside.

--
Diane