Old 04-03-2003, 01:27 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Asparagus questions

In article , "Genevieve Tharp" writes:
| My area has had a good bit of trouble keeping asparagus alive from one yr to
| another for a variety of reasons .... winters not cold enough ... winter
| spurts suddenly too cold so that roots froze, then thawed and rotted ... not
| keeping grass out of beds, beds get overgrown and asparagus roots
| overwhelmed ... moles, voles, etc. eating roots from underground tunnels ...
| too much rain and standing water for too long of a time.

Of those, the only critical one would be waterlogging. Asparagus
can't stand that. It is a seaside plant and likes a deep, fertile,
but very well-drained soil.

If it was worried by erratic winters, or rain, it would never thrive
in the UK - and it is native to the UK and naturalised in my garden.
Moles don't eat plants, I have never seen voles eat asparagus and
it is not harmed much by grass (being very deep rooted).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679