Old 19-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Scott Rogahn

Default Is my Flying fox an SAE

Make that can NOT say he is agressive

"Scott Rogahn" wrote in message
Thank to all who replied.

My big one looks just like the photo posted by chuck, except chucks dorsal
fin seems to has a golden tint, mine is clear.

from the description at
http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/cyprinid.html

The distinguishing marks looks to be one pair of Barbels when the false

ones
have either none or 2 pair. both of mine have one pair.

One other the replies stated "And the flying foxes are aggressive, vicious
fish" My big one has never been aggressive. I have only had the little

one
for a couple of days. he spends most of his time hiding, so I can say he

is
aggressive.

All in all I here by proclaim them both TRUE SAEs.

Thanks again
Scott

"Scott Rogahn" wrote in message
I have seen may post about false SAEs, But my fish store may be going

the
other way. Six months ago I ask them what they have that eats hair

algae.
She sold me two flying foxes about 2 to 3 inches long. The ate the hair
algae in no time. From the descriptions on the web and other post I

believe
them to be SAEs. They have clear fins. The black stripe goes to the

end
of
the tail, and they eat flake food.

One has since died due to me being stupid and misadjusting my CO2 before
work (the only Casualty of 100ppm CO2). So I went back and ask for a
Siamese algae eater. They did not have any, so I ask about flying

foxes.
She showed my a tank of Thai Flying Foxes very small about an inch to

maybe
and inch and half. for $4.99 each. Once again clear fins and stripe to
back of the tail.

This is a very knowledgeable fish store so if they were SAEs I would

think
they would mark them as such.

Did I get lucky are these SAEs? Is a flying fox much less of an algae
eater?

Thanks
Scott