Old 19-06-2003, 04:08 AM
DKat

Default What to do with clay soil?

Topsoil is rarely deeper than an inch or so and grass is not that fussy. If
you cut your grass high, use a mulching mower, and maybe top dress with
mulch when it gets hot (just a light dusting), then time will take care of
your problem as the grass spreads and worms work the clippings and compost
into your soil. Clay is an important part of soil. Unless the soil is so
clay heavy that you are not getting drainage you should not be concerned
that your underlying soil type is clay. Organic matter is the best thing
you can add to improve your soil no matter what the soil type.

"Some One" wrote in message
a...
Hey all!

I'm a new homeowner and as expected, the developer stripped off all
the good topsoil before starting this subdivision. My yard has a
couple inches of decent topsoil, but below that is nothing but clay.

I've managed to get a lawn seeded and it came in pretty well, but it
is patchy in some spots. I'm assuming this is areas where there is
less good topsoil.

Is there anything I can do to improve the soil and get the grass to
root deeper?

I'm also having a hard time trying to get any kind of tree or bush to
grow without putting in a HUGE hole full of decent soil.

Any help is appreciated!