Old 19-06-2003, 09:56 AM
Robert Davies

Default Bamboo damaged by wind

Not much you can do, but leave it - don't chop it right back as should
still put on leaves and help the plant increase in size next year.

I'm surprised that the wind should have been strong enough to snap it
off, as bamboo shoots have always seemed pretty resilient to me. I did
read somewhere that overfeeding bamboo can make the shoots
over-vigourous and less strong, so perhaps that might have been the
case?

Robert

----------
In article , "Smeckler"
wrote:

I planted my first bamboo, a 5' P. nigra, in March. The first new culm
appeared 2 weeks ago, and proceeded to stun me by growing to over 9 feet by
yesterday. Didn't expect 8 inches growth a day in this climate

Unfortunately there were high winds last night and it's snapped off the top
30 inches or so, despite it being in a fairly sheltered spot. Looking at
the broken end, it doesn't seem that surprising because it's only 1 cm thick
and no stronger than your average green shoot.

Any advice would be most welcome here...

thanks.