Old 19-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Salty Thumb

Default Plastic wrap question

"RS" wrote in
:

In mid-July, I have to go to a wedding in Hawaii, and I will be away
about 9 days. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, and I have a variety of
tropicals in a variety of pot sizes. Usually I water about twice a
week ... depending on the weather, etc.

Someone has suggested that if the opening of the base of the pot
(below the stem) is covered with plastic food wrap (i.e. Saran Wrap),
the watering cycle can be stretched out ... in an "emergency". Would
this work? Or would it be necessary to perhaps cover the plant itself,
to some extent (to minimize evaporation) ?

It is not practical to have someone come in to water the plants.

Any tips are appreciated !

-RS-

Here is a trick I picked from Martha Stewart. Fill a container with
water. Connect the plant and water container with a wick or some other
water absorbing material. As the plant becomes dry, the water should be
wicked over to the plant. I don't know if this works and don't have any
more information on what material you should use for the wick.

-- Salty