Old 19-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Larry Caldwell

Default Forest Thinning Does Little to Stop Wildfires

(Geoff Kegerreis) writes:

Specs: clean up the woods; unit 1 must be cut before unit
2.??? You can get any
work done you want to get done if there is enough gravy attached to it.

Exactly. My understanding is that the logger will no longer pay to cut
timber, the USFS will pay the logger to clean up the woods. Any
merchantable timber will be sold to defray the expense of paying the
contractor. The contractor no longer gets paid for timber, the
contractor gets paid for delivering the specified forest conditions to
the USFS.

I think I heard they were going to spend about $600 million this year to
do a few thousand acres.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc