Old 19-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Charles Thorpe

Default Local Council subsidised compost bin, any good?

On Thursday 19 June 2003 12:48, dommy wrote article
m in uk.rec.gardening:

Hi all, my local council is offering the following 330 litre compost bin
at a subsidised price of only £10.

Ordered one last week (Mid Suffolk Council) but mine was £19.95 for the same
bin!! They are ordered form a firm called Blackwall and are delivered
"within 4 weeks". The price must depend on the generosity of your local
council.

I just wanted to get some opinions on this type of bin. To me it looks
like it will be hard to turn the contents properly, but that is just on
the assumtion of the picture. Also does anyone have the retail price
for this type of bin? If anyone has had experiances with this type
please can I have some feed back, thank you,

I bought a similar one from B&Q last year, think it was about £35, and yes
it can be difficult to turn if you try emptying from the bottom. Easiest
way (if you have the room) is to lift it off the compost which with luck
stays in a "tower". Fork it over and back in the bin.

I do find it reluctant to get hot, stirring it up a bit produces the
occasional puff of steam but not much more.
--
Regards, Charles

cthorp at globalnet dot co dot uk
"I really cannot tolerate intolerance"