Old 19-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Drakanthus

Default Local Council subsidised compost bin, any good?

It looks the same as the ones provided by my local council (made by
Blackwall).
I have four of them. They are very good value for money.

However, I don't have time to wait 6 months or a year or more for the
compost to rot down into the fine crumbly compost often quoted as the
ideal - simply not enough bins or space to do that, so I use the compost
when it is semi rotted after three - four months, at which time it has the
consistency of semi rotted farm manure. Great for digging into the veg plot
for potatoes and other greedy feeders.

The little door / outlet I find totally useless since the compost hasn't
rotted down fine enough to pull it out from there. I use urine as a compost
accelerator - which works very well with this type of bin and turn the
compost every month or so. It isn't very easy to turn the compost through
the top, the rim also has a fairly sharp edge and can easily graze the skin.
So, with a little wriggling, I pull the entire composter off the heap, turn
and re-fill it.

Depending on the time of year either 1 or all 4 bins are in use. One bonus
is that they stack, saving space when not in use.

All, in all, I think they are very good value for money.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)