Old 04-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Guy Bradley

Default tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties

Penny Morgan wrote in message
. com...
...My only concern is that your patio is East
facing. These herbs and, especially tomatoes, need a good 5+ hours

of
strong sunlight to really prosper.

Amen to this. Fortunately, in your climate you get lots of daylight in
the summer. Your problem will be overcast conditions.

I would try the seedlings again and
check the plants over very well for any aphids on the undersides of

leaves
as well as on the stems before purchasing.

I disagree - I like the idea of seeds wherever possible. Tomato, basil
and parsley can be grown easily from seed. Chives I'm not sure about,
but they are in the onion family, which in general grows well from
seeds.

Basil may give you trouble - it likes hot, hot weather. As I recall
from my visits to Vancouver, a beautiful city BTW, heat is something
you don't have. You might consider other herbs.

Your choice of tomatoes should be limited to smaller plants, unless

you plan
on erecting a very tall lattice or cage for them. Early girls and

Better
Boys are good, but don't do Cherry or Grape tomatoes in a limited

space.
They have very long branches.

Look for a tomato described as for patios or, failing that,
determinate. Determinate tomatoes only grow so tall and stop.
Indeterminate, which describes Early Girls and Better Boy, keep on
growing without stop. They will either get too tall or outgrow your
pot. Plan on the largest container you can manage for your tomatoes.

.... I live in Vancouver Canada which has
about the same climate as Seattle and I live in an apartment. I

plan to
try
to grow these on my east facing patio this year.

Good Luck,

Guy Bradley
Chesterfield MO
zone 6