Old 19-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Drakanthus

Default Local Council subsidised compost bin, any good?

I do find it reluctant to get hot, stirring it up a bit produces the
occasional puff of steam but not much more.
--
Regards, Charles

The amount of heat depends upon the contents. I use the Blackwall composters
and save (dry) kitchen and garden waste in a dustbin, until my neighbour
gives me a sack or two of lawn clippings. Then mix the lot together into a
composter and add a couple of gallons of water mixed with urine as an
activator. Within 24 hours the composter is literally steaming - hot to the
touch! After a few days the full composter has gone down to about 1/4 full.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)