Old 19-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Frogleg

Default small time composting...

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:57:27 -0400, DigitalVinyl
wrote:

I NEVER peel potatoes I love eating the skin! Potato salads, fried,
mashed, baked...I just clean the skins. Lettuces, tomatoes, onion,
peppers, garlic peels, carrot tops, celery, egg shells, apple cores,
leftover grapes are the most common stuff. I don't drink coffee or tea
at home--haven't made one of either in the last 3 years here. I admit
to being a big meat eater, but I like lots of vegetables mixed in.
I've seen some grains are bad other say add bread. I don't often have
bread go bad on me. I guess my assuption is without variety the copost
wont have any many nutrients and be less "helpful".

It's not rocket science. You can review many discussions here with
Google groups, and there are acres of references on the web. Like
chile (chili, chilli), everyone has their favorite recipe/method. I
choose to compost just un-meddled-with veg (and fruit) kitchen scraps,
rinsed and squashed eggshells, coffee grounds, leftover dirt from pot
plants that haven't died from some disease, grass clippings, and
leaves. Roughly. Leftover bread is for the birds. Leftover moldy bread
is for the garbage bin. I never add any meat or dairy items, nor, say,
leftover salad with dressing or cooked veg with butter or sauce.
That's *my* recipe. As I said, the main function is to add fluff, not
nutrition, to the soil.