Old 19-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Martin Jensen

Default Fruit growth in NY Suburbs

I just got done pruning about 50 little peaches from one tree alone in order to
increase the size of the remaining peaches and also to relieve some pressure on
the limbs. My peaches don't thin by themselves, I have to do it. Thin in
either case is good for the tree and the peaches.

Marty
Northern Illinois - -zone 5

On 6/18/2003 5:04 PM, Tom Eisenman wrote:
In fact, if there are really a lot of little peaches it might be good to
"fruit prune". This is removing some of the peaches so the ones remaining
will grow bigger. Peaches are one of the easiest fruits for southern New
York.

"Gary Woods" wrote in message

(Ray G.) wrote:

How important is that ans is it normal to have 10+ peaches
drop off like this especially this early??

A friend who knows more about this than I (Don't get too arrogant, Voni,
that ain't hard to achieve) suggests that this is likely normal behavior.
If the tree had really good pollination and heavy fruit set, there may be
too many for it mature well, so it drops the excess. Are there still good
numbers of peaches on it?

Rain today, earlier than predicted. What a shock.