Old 04-03-2003, 03:39 PM
Patrick Alexander

Default [IBC] naming styles

Craig Cowing wrote:
Ok, I've got a question. Is there a proper name (and I know there will
be disagreement on this) for trees in a more naturalistic style, such as
those championed by Walter Pall and others? Is "naturalistic" an
appropriate category? I'll step back and let the fur fly.

`Naturalistic' is a good name for the style... if you're wanting a
name for the form, i.e. an analogue to `formal upright' and the rest, many
of these trees are `informal brooms' (another one I think was coined by
Walter Pall), though of course naturalistic trees could be of other forms
as well, depending on the tendencies of the tree--though here in southern
Indiana, almost all of the native trees are informal brooms.

Patrick Alexander