Old 19-06-2003, 04:42 PM
dstvns

Default Sunflowers vs. squirrels

On 19 Jun 2003 10:27:26 GMT, (KK from NJ)
wrote:

I presume, but we're finding
stalks shredding, broken off, lying on the ground,

2 years ago I lost many sunflowers when the squirrels would climb to the top
for the seeds. Their weight would cause it to bend and snap. I got a trap and 2
years later a significantly reduced squirrel population

I tried using hav-a-heart traps, but the squirrels even figured out
how to escape *those*. The squirrel would bang against one door,
which would cause the other door to raise just a tiny bit. The shock
also caused the bar holding the door to raise up, this allowing the
squirrel to get out of the trap. I watched at least 3 squirrels
escape using this method. I needed to resort to other control
measures to remove them.

Last winter had over 20 crawling over the bird feeders (not a single
bird)...they scurried like roaches when I came out...some wouldnt even
move when I was just 5 ft away. I have no doubt that once they
realize those tasty seeds come from that big yellow plant, they would
be all over it.

Dan