Old 19-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Ray

Default douglas fir trees

Thanks. How would one tell if the roots are rotting?

"Bob Muir" wrote in message ...
My house is surrounded by 10 Douglas Firs that were topped many, many years
ago. The topping didn't stop the trees from growing taller (they're about
the same height as a couple of non-topped trees across the street), it just
created multiple trunks to grow up from the point they were topped.

So, unless you're going to have them topped every other year, (pretty
expensive for the height trees you have), it's definitely not worth it.
It's much more effective to spend the money thinning them out a bit to
reduce the "sail" factor. Unless the roots begin to rot, you're in little
danger from them falling over - Doug Fir roots are very strong!

s/Bob

"Ray" wrote in message
om...
We have a stand of 6 - 8 100 foot DF tress about 20 feet from our
house.

We've thought about "topping" them but wonder if that is wise. Also a
friend recommended we take the limbs off to about 20 feet above ground
to give us the more of the afternoon sun. Our area is usually cloudly
and wet, seattle area.

At present, an arboist is too expensive.

Any ideas or books that might help

Thanks