Old 19-06-2003, 05:44 PM

Default Plastic wrap question

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:44:31 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

Cheap, simple and free:

Group the plants tightly together in a place with extremely dim light. Water
them normally. Go to Hawaii. Less light, less need for water. I have indoor
tropicals which have gone 14 days this way. They've muttered a few
obscenities upon my return, but they fared OK.

Just one thing: If any of the plants' roots are pot-bound (close to filling
up the pot completely), there will be problems. You can spot this easily,
since water runs right through those pots very quickly, and the plants dry
out much faster than the others. Re-pot them now.

Whichever of the options you choose, be careful of the surface on
which the operation stands.

I went away for a month, and grouped everything on plastic,
so my housemate could water easily. Came back to find hardwood floor
discolored due to leakage. Major PITA to r efinish!!!

I may have to do that again for a longer period. I'll either put
plants on the kitchen floor, or on a much thicker and better plastic
underlay. And warn housemate not to overwater!

Good luck!

--

Persephone