Old 19-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Karen Zack

Default keeping pests from cantaloupe and tomatoes

In article ,
"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" wrote:

"Pat Meadows" wrote in message
lots of useful info snipped

Sounds fine to me but, again, I don't think it would make
any difference to aphids.

I've found that it's very seldom necessary to solve problems
that you don't even know you'll have...occasionally, yes,
but not often.

Pat

True, but as a first time tomato-mother, I was feeling a bit protective of
my babies :-). I have a bit of a light green thumb (I can grow things, but
I lose interest quickly and then they die when I forget to water them--hence
the light green) so I wanted to be proactive. I ended up planting the
tomatoes, basil and cilantro in separate containers. The cantaloupe has not
yet been planted, but will hopefully be in the ground by the weekend.
Thanks for the tips!

rona

I agree with Pat; I usually find that some other thing ends up happening
that I hadn't even thought about. I've never seen aphids be a problem
to tomatoes, but had a *serious* problem with aphids on my Swiss chard
and corn last summer. It was nasty and disgusting (but didn't stop me
from shucking and eating the corn; the aphids were in between the layers
of husk but luckily never made it in to the kernels). I finally chopped
down the chard since I just couldn't figure out what else to do and the
leaves were so misshapen that blasts of water weren't effective.

The "problem" I have with the tomatoes is the darn squirrels take bites
out of them about a day before I'm ready to pick 'em! People ask me why
I have a dozen or so tomato plants all over the garden - between the
squirrels above, and the gophers sucking them down holes from below, I
have to plant more than I need just to break even.

It's all one big experiment!

karen
zone 8