Old 19-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Yusuf B Gursey

Default Tamarisk: origin of "salt cedar"

(Mike Lyle) wrote in message . com...
(Yusuf B Gursey) wrote in message . com...
Gnarlodious wrote in message news:a15c19a71e84f7f8d01f8ef8846fc1a1@TeraNews.. .
Entity Yusuf B Gursey spoke thus:

[The attributions have got hopelessly messed up in this thread: I
think not Yusuf, but Rachel said the following:]

"Tamar" is actually a Date Palm, there may be some non-botanical relation.

Well, there's certainly no obvious botanical relation! In any case,
though my Arabic's very old and weak, I'm not sure *tamr* applies to
the tree so much as to the fruit taken separately. Isn't the tree
called a *nakhl*? (Yusuf will correct me here if need be.)

in arabic, yes, naxl or naxi:l for the tree, tamr , tamar . OTOH,
AFAIK some compounds like tamr hindiyy "tamarind".

but in other semitic languages for the whole plant (tree). these would
be mor relevant in this case.

this seems to be the Eric Partridge, "Origins", who sees a possible
relation to `ar. tamr , tamar (i.e. from some semitic langauge) "date
palm"
I did some research on this Eric Partridge and he seems to be on the same
track as Isaac Mozeson with his Edenic language:

I doubt very much all these are what E. Partridge has in mind.

I'd really treat Mozeson with caution: the "Edenics" website is
clearly not for professional use; and he admits that the notion arose
before people knew much about philology. But the idea has great power
as a poetic conceit, and it's touching to know from the Bible that
people were already thinking that way in the bronze age: that really
does create the sense of a link across the ages.

http://www.homestead.com/edenics/ which coincides with my Spectrum language
concept in which Tamarisk is harmonic 4478, a quadriliteral word combining
these 2 harmonics:
http://www.Spectrumology.com/Cogniti..._Ching.html#44
and
http://www.Spectrumology.com/Cogniti..._Ching.html#78

This word makes perfect sense in the context of Spectrumology, and my
research into the word Eshel makes no sense at all, especially since the
ancient word Eshel seems disputed by scholars.

cognates are found in the principle semitic languages

I was lost by this point!

I was lost by the word "disputed." since it has cognates in other
semitic languages, I assume it is not a misreading.

Mike.