Old 19-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Martin Jensen

Default Fruit growth in NY Suburbs

Ray,
Grapes grow in most soil types and are easy to grow. The biggest thing about
grapes is in the pruning and training of them. The pruning of the grape vine is
where you reduce the old wood so that new vine growth is promoted and on the new
growth is where the grapes grow. New growth will occur even if the vine is not
pruned so you should get grapes without doing anything to the vines. Pruning
should take place in the late winter, well before the vines begin to bud. It
helps to know what variety of grape you have because there are different pruning
methods for different varieties. I have 6 different kind of grapes; Concord,
King of the North, Reliance seedless, Catawba, Wordon and seedless Concord. I
prune all my grapes the same, I don't follow the different methods. The
different methods are based on how many buds are left on the vine after pruning.

This spring I called my mom (the cause of my fruit growing passion (4 peach, 3
pear, 6 apples, 2 cherry, nectarine, blackberries, red, gold and black
raspberries, currants and blueberries)) and told her I killed my grapes by
pruning real hard. By the way I call her every spring and tell this same story,
I don't know why. And she always says just wait and she is always right,
because right now my grapes look great. I should post the pictures of the
pruned vine versus what the grapes look like now. It is really neat how grapes
grow and so quickly.

Ray, don't prune your grapes now, it will just hurt them. Let them go this
season and look up grape pruning where ever you can. You should have grapes
this year and more next year if you prune. Plan to prune in late Jan to late
March. Don't prune to late or the grapes will bleed.

I hope this helps a little. If you have a specific question let us know.

Marty
Northern Illinois - zone 5

On 6/19/2003 1:16 PM, Ray G. wrote:
Thanks for all these tips. I will be sure to use them. Does anyone
have any suggestions my grapes?