Old 19-06-2003, 10:56 PM
PJ

Default kill lawn area and start again

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:05:29 +0100, Tom wrote
(in message ):

"clcnews" wrote in message
can anyone help with advice on how to kill off a very uneven grass and

weed
covered lawn approx 60x20 feet area so I can start again. Recently moved
into a house where garden was neglected for nearly 10 years, can you
imagine, all types of rubbish dumped in it and full of broken glass etc.
Looking for some kind of fast acting grass/weed killer, spray or

whatever.
thanks
Clembo

My advice a fork and spade just get stuck in and get it cleared section by
section.
This way you reduce the risk of having any residue of anything left behind.

That's what I did with the neglected area in front of my house last year and
this year after much additional work it is a surprisingly presentable lawn.

The digging didn't take that long once I got into it, but the area for me is
less than that of the original poster.

One thing which has occurred to me which might be suitable for this larger
area is to hire a rotovator perhaps? It's certainly not something I know a
great deal about, but if the rubbish etc. were removed first then would a
rotovator churn up sufficiently all the weeds etc. so that they would be
finished off?

After I'd dug mine over there was quite a lengthy period when it was simply
bare soil before I started putting seed down for the lawn. Through this
period I simply used a hoe regularly and this kept the are completely free of
weeds so that when the seeds for the lawn went down the soil in a good state
that way.

--
Patrick