Old 19-06-2003, 11:56 PM
The Madd Hatter

Default Quarintine? Reality?

w/ a microscope??? Fish in a stock tank at the LFS, are usually in
shock anyway, from being recently moved in to crowded pullouted
conditions. You can't tell what diseases they are carrying.. Remember,
they don't have to be ILL to be a carrier (like West Nile
Mosquitoes)... It is more likely that the carrier will survive but the
other fish won't...

As it happens, I now quarantine fish whenever possible, since, w/ the
amount of fish I have, I've had "incidents" a few times.. However, I
very rarely buy fish from the LFS... I prefer other hobbyists, as they
tend to keep their fish alot healthier..

Its one of those live and learn things... You'll flame yourself
plenty, when you add an infected fish to a tank and loose your prized
breeding colony of Peacocks or whatever..

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:49:39 -0400, ajames54
wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:27:29 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

...not quarantined them, seeing no evidence of disease?

But I take great care before I buy them to check them, their
tankmates and the general condition of all other fish at the
vendor...