Old 20-06-2003, 12:44 AM
WNeptune

Default Slug threat level elevated to ORANGE

Subject: Slug threat level elevated to ORANGE
From: Eric Muehlbauer
Date: Tue, Jun 17, 2003 7:30 PM
I once coated a pepper seedling in diatomaceous earth...the next day a
slug had eaten it. The stuff is useless, especially in damp weather. Get
Escar-Go, or Sluggo...both are different brand names for the same
product, iron phosphate covered in a yeasty bait. Very safe, even around
veggies....and more effective than metaldehyde baits...although the damp
weather we've been having allows the slugs to outcompete any treatment.
I buy mine from Gardens Alive, but its also sold by Planet Natural. Take
care, Eric Muehlbauer in Queens NY....very cold and damp!

On different forums there a number of growers who swear that diatomaceous earth
is the best thing coming down the pike to control slugs.
I agree completely with this post, and for me it was useless. I now have most
of a 25lb bag and would love to get rid of it but postage is more than the cost
of the material.