Old 20-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Jai

Default "swiss cheese" hosta

I've never known any bugs to eat my hostas except for slugs. Garden stores
stock a variety of slug-killers that you sprinkle around the plant; the
slugs eat the bait and quit eating the hostas. I have "Escar-go" (yeah, OK,
it's a corny name but it works great). I hear very good things about
"Sluggo," which is non-toxic and actually acts as a fertilizer as it breaks
down. You do have to sprinkle pretty frequently (maybe once two weeks,
especially with all this rain we've had), but they do work well. My hostas
are lookin' pretty darn good, considering we've had enough rain here in
Columbus to float an ark or two! Good luck -- Jai in Columbus

"SKIP NEWBERY" wrote in message
At least they look like it. bug damage. live in Ohio. what can I apply
to them long-term to control whatever is doing it. Slugs, mites etc are
sometimes visible. Can I use an dormant spray or is there something that
will protect the whole plant, even from flying insects.