Old 20-06-2003, 06:44 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Default basil and cilantro

"Joanne" wrote in message
om...

I can't advise you about Roundup as I have an organic garden, so that
problem is one I don't have to contend with. I can tell you that I
also lost 90% of my initial basil planting due to an unexpectedly
cool, wet and windy spell. They just seemed to be overwhelmed by the
weather at such a young age and who can blame them. I find young
cilantro plants to be even more delicate and did not put mine out
until last week.

I'm going to buy new basil plants (incidently, this was Thai basil, not
Italian basil, in case that makes a difference) and start all over again.
This time I'll keep them in their starter pots until they are very healthy,
then I'll transplant them. I'll keep them inside for a bit, too. I had
thought they were healthy, since they were quite plentiful. But they were
only ~5 inches high so I guess that may have been a toddler stage--old
enough to look as though they didn't need as much work, yet deceptively so.
Toddler plants probably need even more work than infant plants, at least in
my case!~

All I can advise you to do is buy more plants and try again, hopefully
the weather will co-operate, oh, and cilantro likes a bit of shade.

Shade?!?!?!?! The little name/info thing with the plants said full sun!!!
Maybe that's one of the reasons they died so quickly! Darn it all!

A final piece of advice; even the most experienced gardener has
failures or perplexing questions every year (this newsgroups existance
is proof of that), let experience be your teacher. Each year you will
be both wiser and have more questions, it's a vicious circle but a
fascinating one!

Thanks for the reassuring words! I am determined to have at least a little
success in this field, even if it means one tiny, unripe tomato and just
enough cilantro for a small bowl of cilantro, and enough basil to garnish a
pasta dish. That's all I need this year to meet my goals (I have to set
them very very low, since I won't meet them, otherwise)!

rona