Old 20-06-2003, 06:44 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Default basil and cilantro

"Frogleg" wrote in message

Yeah. How moist is "moist"? Roughly, it means growing in soil that
has enough organic material to prevent either extremely rapid drying
out, or water standing in a pot or on the ground. Directions for
growing many plants say "does not like to be transplanted." I wouldn't
think basil was one of these, as it's often sold in little 6-packs and
seems to transplant well. I always sow cilantro seed where I plan the
plants to live, however. The good news is that cilantro is *very* easy
to grow from seed. Repeated plantings are suggested to keep a
reasonable supply going. You don't even need to buy seed packets --
just find a jar of coriander seed and plant some.

Both my basil and cilantro plants were from little plants (which seemed
healthy when I bought them). I'm starting to wonder if the soil I used was
not as good as it should have been. It was no-name brand potting soil, and
it had little styrofoam pellets in it. Why would it need styrofoam pellets?
I added some fertilizer to it but I may have also used the wrong kind of
fertilizer. It said it was for vegetable gardens, though, so shouldn't that
be good enough?

How far does a sneeze travel? Roundup is a *very* effective herbicide.
1 or 2 feet away from new little plants is pretty close.. Roundup does
its work on exposed foliage. It decays quickly (within a 2-4 days) and
has no effect on subsequent planting in the treated area. Very
meticulous gardeners wanting to kill specific plants/weeds *paint* it
on with a brush or sponge to avoid the effect of aerosol spraying.

Nice analogy! I think I'll have to give up on the round-up while my
remaining plants are still alive. Painting it on? I'm anal, but I'm not
*that* anal! Of course, if I become more proficient at this gardening
thing, then I may end up doing that one day....

Thanks for the reply!

rona